Friday, May 31, 2013

Name Change!

So, I have been mulling over it for the past few days since my last post. I originally wanted to have a name which allowed me to cover all sorts of different topics. The name 'Universal Commentary" was supposed to give me the freedom to write about whatever I wanted; from politics to video games, parenting to gadgetry.

While the idea was good at the time, something began to dawn on me. Yes, the title of the blog allowed me to do that but I had a problem. I didn't feel like I took on a perspective that I could relate to.

Universal Commentary? What am I? Some sort of celestial observer providing commentary on anything while being everywhere?

Look at me! I'm everywhere!
We already have someone who does that...
I think this is what made it so hard to keep the blogging focus . If i didn't have anything in particular to write about, what would I write about specifically?

The fact of the matter is, I still want to cover a lot of the topics that I wanted to originally, only this time, leading with a new name, The Gen Y Dad!

I figure this new name will get the message across of what this blog is about. Why Gen Y? As someone who was born in the 80's, the use of Gen Y seems poignant but I'd like to think of Gen Y as the tech savvy generation. We were the first generation to grow up with the internet, we spent countless hours waiting for our 56k dial up internet to get going so we could start chatting to friends on MSN messenger, we brought Facebook into the mainstream, we were the early adopters of the iGadgets. Gen Y is the tech generation.

Well how about Dad? Well, I thought that this would be obvious but I am a father of two gorgeous boys, one 15 months and the other 1 month whom I raise with my beautiful wife Mama Essy. Fatherhood is also a topic I want to cover quite frequently as it is both a new and challenging experience. Hopefully I can relate to those like myself, young fathers who have a general interest in other things such as tech, politics, sports and religion.

The topics that I want to talk about haven't changed from the original blog, but I think the new title helps provide some focus around the point of view I'm trying to get across.

So stay tuned, I have recently been inspired to write in response to an article published by news limited this week and would love to hear peoples thoughts on the issue. Until then, keep surfin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment